Monday, May 9, 2016

West After Sacramento

After taking my math test, we didn't have anything else we needed to do in Sacramento (and I was really ready to go!) so the day after, we packed up and started heading west!
We ended up at Cache Creek Regional Park, a little county park right up in the mountains, right by a river.


We explored around a little bit on our bikes, and found a little trail – the “Blue Ridge Trail” – that we went up a little way, and decided to do more tomorrow.
There were lots of flowers out along the trail, and it seems very lush compared to the deserts we have between through.



This bridge had a weight limit of 0 tons – we all made it across though.

When we woke up the next morning, it was raining, (and Alice wasn't feeling good) so we hung out inside for most of the morning. It kinda cleared up after lunch, so my parents and I hopped on our bikes and went over to the Blue Ridge Trail. (Alice was kinda sick, so she stayed home)
We hiked up, and up, and up. The trail was kinda muddy, but it wasn't too slippery. We could see the road and the river sometimes, which was cool.
We walked for a while, and then finally decided to turn around. (We were running out of food, too!)
This sign at the park was pretty funny

The next day, we packed up and headed out, towards Clear Lake. We drove through Clearlake State Park, but decided to keep going.
Clear Lake

We took CA-175 for a bit – it was really twisty! Very pretty drive though.





We were thinking to stop at the South Cow Moutain OHV area for the night, but there was a locked gate across the road up into there, so we kept going.
As we were driving along, we realized that we weren't too far from where the guy who let us borrow his hot springs book down in Holtville lives, so we detoured over there, and found the place to drop off the book.
We also managed to find a place to stay for the night – a little Army Corps of Engineers campground/recreation area right on Lake Mendocino.
My dad and I took a little bike ride on this biking/hiking trail that we found, and ended up a few miles south of the campground, but we were able to find our way back on the roads. The hills by the lake are really big!

While there were showers, there wasn't any Internet, so the next day, we packed up and headed out towards the coast!

2 comments:

  1. There is plenty of gold so I am told at the banks of Sacramento. And so goes an old German shanty....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been singing this one too, along the different rivers and mine places:

    Near a cavern, across from a canyon,
    Excavating for a mine,
    Lived a miner, forty-niner
    And his daughter Clementine

    Oh my Darling, Oh my Darling,
    Oh my Darling Clementine.
    You are lost and gone forever,
    Dreadful sorry, Clementine.

    Light she was and like a fairy,
    And her shoes were number nine
    Herring boxes without topses
    Sandals were for Clementine.

    CHORUS:

    Drove she ducklings to the water
    Every morning just at nine,
    Hit her foot against a splinter
    Fell into the foaming brine.

    CHORUS:

    Ruby lips above the water,
    Blowing bubbles soft and fine,
    But alas, I was no swimmer,
    So I lost my Clementine.

    CHORUS:

    How I missed her! How I missed her!
    How I missed my Clementine,
    Till I kissed her little sister,
    And forgot my Clementine.

    CHORUS:

    Then the miner, forty-niner,
    Soon began to peak and pine,
    Thought he oughter join his daughter,
    Now he's with his Clementine.

    CHORUS:
    In the church yard in the canyon
    Where the myrtle doth entwine
    There grows roses and other posies
    Fertilized by Clementine

    ReplyDelete

What do you think, where should we go next?